Friday, March 18, 2011

Power Games Penguinstation



Today is a special day for the Poverty Game Night blog, because today is the day that my brother's eBay order arrived with a little thing called Power Games. The Power Games Super Entertainment System is one of China's many hilarious clones of Nintendo's Famicom, generally known as famiclones. This is a modern famiclone, so it has a lot of traits to be expected of a machine of such quality. It has hilarious box art, is very small, has awkward controllers, has a bunch of built in games, is insanely cheaply made to a degree that it is probably dangerous to use, and best of all it has gimmicks. The major gimmicks with Power Games is that it has “Wireless Telecontrol,” which is basically a IR controller, and the console itself looks like a penguin, giving it the lovable nickname of the Penguinstation.














This penguin comes loaded with about one hundred NES games that are luckily not too hacked beyond recognition. Most of the games just have edited title screens with the copyright removed, but the games seem to be the same. The system does have a slot to insert Famicom carts, so I assume it can play them, but I cannot confirm this. Playing the games isn't too difficult with the weird controllers. The d-pads are different, and both kind of bad, but they work. The button layout is weird, but comfortable enough to use. A is A+B, B is B, C is A, X is turbo A+B, Y is turbo B, and Z is turbo A. The Wireless Telecontrol works okay, but it is lame that you have to use the wireless controller for player one. It is more reliable than the Sega Genesis wireless controllers I had when I was a kid. The light gun is okay. The trigger feels weird, but it feels good in the hand.


The packaging for this is the funniest things about it, except maybe the fact that the console is a penguin. On the left there is a mech, the origin of which is unknown, but you can bet your ass it's copyrighted by somebody, and it is not the people who made this. The ninja in the middle appears to be the ninja from Ninja: Shadow of Darkness for the Playstation. Hmm, maybe I should play that game, I'm sure it is poverty. The kung fu guy on the right is what really sells this machine. He looks like he could be a sprite ripped from some Mortal Kombat knockoff. I wouldn't want to be what this guy was kicking at, because he looks real serious about it. It should also be noted that unlike the light gun actually provided, the light guns on the box don't have orange tips, and would most likely get you shot by police.
  

There isn't a whole lot about the games themselves. There are some pretty good ones in there, but they are mostly normal NES games. Maybe I'll get around to getting screenshots or video sometime.

Penguinstation is made from the finest souls of Chinese orphans.

6 comments:

  1. I bought one of these consoles at a liquidation sale, and I LOVE it! I wish I could find cartridges with other games for it. It has 111 games on the cartridge that comes with it, but there are a couple of games from this game era that I would like to have as well. I still have the original Atari 2600 and a Nintendo NES, but the NES cosole no longer works. If you know of any other cartridges for this console and where to get them please email me @ cajunlady95@wildblue.net
    Thanks a million!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I get one of these? ?? I want one di bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was seven when i got my first one and it failed plenty of times but when it worked i was the hapiest kid evver but its been eight years since ive had one and we unfortunatly have no clue where to purchase one if any ony noes where to get one my email is wolfwilliam@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't figure out how to hook it up on my TV, is it because it's American?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Que precio tiene la consola..???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found one of these yesterday at a goodwill for $2. I'm surprised strangely how good it actually is at running games. I needed to reflow the solder on the wires of the 2P controller, but it came back to life. The model I have the 111in1 games is its own cart, and it's not wonky, works in an actual Famicom and was so nice to include a fold out with printed game list.

    Surprisingly it works well, displays and sounds quite nice too. Controller takes a little getting used to, but it works, doesn't seem to miss stuff at least. Best of all, I have Famicom carts, most of them are konami/namco high level mappers that do more exotic stuff, and they all work. It may look like a demonic penguin out for your very soul, but it actually works.

    ReplyDelete