Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Remember When It Was Cool To Rock The Dragon?


I found this when digging through some old board games. It is from that embarrassing part of my childhood when I thought Dragon Ball Z was cool. I also listened to bad music and wore so many chains on my wallet you'd think I walked dogs for a living, but I guess that's just middle school for you. I don't have any good memories of this game or any of these cheap LCD games for that matter. I know I had a Ninja Gaiden one by Tiger, and it was pretty terrible as well. These things are only entertaining for a few minutes.

This Dragon Ball Z game was made by MGA Entertainment in 1999. Apparently this company was busy making shitty LCD games up until it hit it big with their hugely successful and massively abhorrent Bratz dolls. The game itself is a simple. You move all the way to the right, and hit an enemy if he gets in the way, then you move all the way to the left doing the same. From there you move up and kick Freeza in the face, then quickly move down so he doesn't kick you in the nuts. You do this a few more times until he is dead. At that point, the game doesn't end, but goes on indefinitely as far as I can tell. You can go back down and kill the respawning enemies for as long as you want.

You can choose between two levels of play, but they seem identical to me. So, that's the game as far as I can tell. I vaguely recall the manual saying something about collecting the Dragon Balls, but when they appeared on screen I couldn't pick them up, and it's not like there are a bunch of different buttons for me to try hitting. All these LCD games suck, and I don't recommend any of them unless you're some obsessive collector of whatever intellectual property it is. I might pick up the Tiger version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night simply for the oddity of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment